Legal requirements for Weddings in Italy
Civil Weddings – British Citizens
Civil ceremonies in Italy are legally binding and are officially recognized in the UK. Legal procedures involve a lot of paperwork and visits to several public offices. Our experienced wedding planners will be taking care of all these procedures. Some documents however must be provided by you. Do not worry if it sounds complicated, we will be sending you easy step-by-step instructions.
UK citizens getting married in Italy must present the following documents:
1) Valid passports
2) Full Birth Certificates
3) Evidence of termination of any previous marriage, if applicable (final divorce decree or Certificate of Death of former spouse).
4) Certificate of Non Impediment. This certificate is released by the local registry office in the U.K after 23 days from publications of Banns. If the British citizen resides in Scotland then the certificate of no impediment is released by the District Registrars after 14 days. The certificate must be apostilled at the local legalization office in the UK. or in the FCO Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes. The CNI must also be translated into Italian for legal use in Italy (we can do this for you).
5) Statutory Declaration. This declaration must be signed at a Solicitor or Notary Public in the UK and apostilled at the local legalization office in the UK or in the FCO Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes.
All those planning a wedding in Italy must also comply with specific requirements of Italian law:
- a) You must be over 18 of age.
- b) Women must have terminated their previous marriage at least 300 days before the new marriage.
- c) For same sex marriages please contact us and ask for further information.
The requirements of each town hall may slightly differ and further special requirements may occur according to your country of origin. Procedures may also slightly vary if you are not both Uk citizens and/or you do not reside in the UK
All those booking a wedding with Exclusive Wedding will receive detailed paperwork instructions and assistance for all the procedures in Italy.
For more information on Civil Weddings in Italy Contact Us