Legal requirements for Weddings in Italy
Civil Weddings – Belgian Citizens
Civil ceremonies in Italy are legally binding and are officially recognized in Belgium. Legal procedures involve a lot of paperwork and visits to several public offices. Our experienced wedding planners will be taking care of all these procedures. Some documents however must be provided by you. Do not worry if it sounds complicated, we will be sending you easy step-by-step instructions.
Belgian citizens getting married in Italy must present the following documents:
1) Valid passports
2) Birth Certificates
3) Evidence of termination of any previous marriage, if applicable (final divorce decree or Certificate of Death of former spouse).
4) Certificate of Matrimonial Capacity (no impediment). This certificate states that you are free to get married.
All those planning a wedding in Italy must also comply with specific requirements of Italian law:
- a) You must be over 18 of age.
- b) Women must have terminated their previous marriage at least 300 days before the new marriage.
- c) You must be of opposite sex. According to Italian regulations people of the same sex are not allowed get married.
The requirements of each town hall may slightly differ and further special requirements may occur according to your country of origin.
All those booking a wedding with Exclusive Wedding will receive detailed paperwork instructions and assistance for all the procedures in Italy.
For more information on Civil Weddings in Italy Contact Us